Now that the holidays are over and long winter nights are ahead, you’re probably considering a home make-over. Yes, it’s fun exploring Instagram pages and Pinterest boards looking for inspiration.
But stop right there.
What looks good online often doesn’t work in a home. Those picture-perfect posts aren’t practical in real-life.
Don’t believe us? How about these trends.
1. All-white interiors. Anyone seriously considering this trend must be designing a room in a museum. Seriously, even the cleanest person couldn’t manage to live spot-free in such a space. If you want a pristine, clean vibe, look at sage green or other subtle colors.
2. Shabby chic. There’s a fine line between “shabby” and “chic.” It’s a hard look to pull off; chalk painting, faux distressing, and antiquing often comes off as fake and tacky. To add interest and dimension to your rooms, consider textured fabrics or genuine antiques.
5. Barn doors. These are only suitable for a barn. Unless you live in one, skip this trend.
7. Shiplap walls. Once the darling design choice of HGTV stars, the shiplap trend has set sail. It’s overdone and will soon look very dated. If you want to add texture to a wall, check out other wood finish ideas that are time-tested.
8. 50 shades of gray. Movies would have us believe that only the coolest bachelors can carry this trend off. But the truth is, all-gray is dull, boring, and slightly depressing. Balance cool gray with warm tones or shades of blush to bring life and warmth.
9. Matchy-matchy furniture. We don’t mean coordinating; we mean matching. When the sofa, loveseat, armchairs are all identical, your rooms look more like a waiting room or furniture showroom instead of your home. Instead, shop around and find unique pieces to create your one-of-a-kind look.
Finally, if you’re really in love with one of these trends, go for it. When done right and sparingly, your home won’t look dated and trendy in the years to come.